3 years 10 months ago
Ingo Sterthaus
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Read UID start printing #6602
Hello Team,

I've got a special question. We would like to read a UID of the card with a desktop reader and start printing of the record that equals to the UID automatically. So CardExchange should provide a mode that is waiting for some INPUT (UID), searches the record and starts printing than.

Are there any Plug-ins or Solutions available?

Regards Ingo

We bring CardExchange to its limits. You can ask Rutger and Sergio. ;-)
3 years 9 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Read UID start printing #6606
Hi Ingo,

We do not currently have anything that can do this, the procedure is always based around reading and storing the UID against the selected record instead.

So has the card you would be reading already been printed and details stored in the dataabse ?
Would this be a second card that would be issued ?

You could just use a keyboard wedge Mifare reader and scan the card UID into the search box above the names list to select the matching record, then you could press print.
But it depends on what you are looking to achieve with the 2 cards.

Craig

Craig Bechelli
CardExchange Solutions Support Team

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
3 years 9 months ago
Ingo Sterthaus
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Read UID start printing #6608
Hi Craig,

thanks for the answer. All details like UID etc. are already stored in the database. We want to provide a Kiosk solution to update the card holder and expiry date on a rewriteable card that is already issued. So the students should be able to insert the card into a slot and update the badge standalone.

Are you able or do you want to provide such a solution?

Regards Ingo

3 years 9 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Read UID start printing #6609
Hi Ingo,

Could you confirm the database type ?
And also that you do not need to write anything back into the databsse ?
Also what printer/encoder will you be using for this ?

If you could confirm the above I will try and get you a price and timescale for a plugin.
Was it standard Mifare Classic cards with a 4 Byte UID ?

Cheers,
Craig

Craig Bechelli

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
3 years 9 months ago
Ingo Sterthaus
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Read UID start printing #6611
Hi Craig,

unfortunately we don't have any information about the type of database or project yet. Also the printer isn't given so far. I would simply wait for a Keyboard input. We are able to configure the readers like Keyboard and it is also possible to do scripting with the readers to read a part of the UID or special Application with the Card ID.

To wait and match the a Keyboard input is the best way in my opinion.

What do you think?

3 years 9 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Read UID start printing #6613
Hi Ingo,

I was thinking the following process:
1 - Customer could insert the card into the kiosk
2 - It would then be automaticcaly feed into position (Although I am not sure if the printers automaticaay can be set to do this)
3 - The UID would then be read (either by sdk or by keyboard wedge)
4 - The card would then be printed (I believe you can set most printers to erase before print within the driver)

So if the printer can automatically position the card under the encoder then it would be a lot simpler, otherwise we would have to check for the presence of a card and send the positioning command.
Are you able to check that part ?
That is why we may need to look at a specific make/model of printer, otherwise the plugin would not be any good if the printer can not position the card correctly.

What do you think ?
Craig

Craig Bechelli

3 years 9 months ago
Ingo Sterthaus
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Read UID start printing #6615
That was also in my mind... how does the printer feed the card without a command or how to insert the card into the slot.

But in my opinion it is better to send the print command after reading the card with an external desktop reader. We are more independent in choose of printer model and can use nearly any printer.

So we will read the card with an external desktop reader and insert the card to the slot afterwards. It is not a perfect solution because what happens if the card is not fed or if a different card will be fed to the slot but I guess it is the easiest and most simple solution. Maybe this solution will find use for some other workflow as well.

If we want to do the integration mentioned by you the best way would be to use an EasyPrinter S3.
www.ana-u.com/en/products/printer-cards/...nter/easyprinter-s3/

But it is a lot more work to integrate the SDK and test the printer. We may want to do that somewhere in the near future, I don't know.

I would choose the simple solution first. :-)

Regards Ingo

3 years 9 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Read UID start printing #6617
Hi Ingo,

It will be a bit of a challenge to get this done and for sure some customization is needed, as CardExchange Producer only prints automatically in reaction to changes in the database and can only look-up records using the search box.

We can create a plug-in that receives the MIFARE UID as input, reads the relevant record from the database and returns the fields needed for the card personalization. This plug-in can be used in combination with a card layout without database connection. However, this plug-in will not be able to trigger the actual printing, as the print button needs to be hot for the plug-in to execute.

What could work is to create a database table with a MIFARE UID field and a print-date field and create a card-layout that has this table as primary database, with the MIFARE UID as primary key. The database with the real data can be linked as secondary database, also with the MIFARE UID as primary key. Then, you can configure automatic printing with an empty print date as trigger. Then, we will need a custom application that listen's to the keyboard and as soon as a MIFARE UID is passed, looks up the UID in the table and resets the print-date field, or creates a new record if it does not exist yet.

It is also be possible to integrate CE Inside in the custom application, so the auto-printing and the extra database is not needed. If the UID is used as primary key in the CardExchange configuration, the custom application can just send a print command to the print server with the UID as key.

Please, let me know which solutions sounds most feasible to you, so we can analyze more in depth what development would be needed to achieve this. It is alo important to know whether you would use a keyboard-wedge MIFARE reader or a standard OmniKey reader that requires active reading from the application.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.