6 years 2 months ago
Vipul
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Duplicate Card Entries #5835
Hi,

We have had a problem reported by a customer whereby we are reading the UID and writing back to their MS SQL database. There is an intermittent problem, whereby there are duplicate UIDs added to the database for multiple users. They have a Primacy Expert Dual Side Mifare Encoder and have Card Exchange SBS running.
Please see attached screenshots. Is there a way to specify that a card UID needs to be unique ?

I look forward to your response.

Vipul
Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5840
Hello Vipul,
This problem is normally caused by the fact that CardExchange is processing the next record while the card for the previous record is still in the printer. If you open the Printer options in the Printer menu of the main window, you will find a tab called Contactless encoding and in there you an set the Time delay after printing the card. By entering a higher value here 8in milliseconds), you can avoid that CardExchange starts processing too early. How big it should be depends on your printer, whether it is two sided or single sided and several other things. If it is too big, there will be a delay between the card being thrown out of the printer and the next card being printed.
regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
6 years 2 months ago
Vipul
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Duplicate Card Entries #5849
Hi Rutger,

Thanks for the information. I will check these settings. We have found that this problem only occurs when a card UID is updated and the same card UID is added to multiple users in the database (MS SQL)..
Regards

Vipul
6 years 2 months ago
Mark Phelan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5861
OK, so we've added a unique index to the table holding card numbers in order to prevent the storing of duplicates to prevent any issues.

I'm concerned that this hasn't identified the root cause.

The PC that runs the print server application is a normal user's PC - we have encountered problems when the user locks the PC (or the screensaver does so) as this is a company policy that is enforced via GPO. When the PC is in this state the print server no longer functions.

We have suggested the use of a dedicated PC to run the print server application, however the same locking policy is enforced. Is there any way that the print server can be run as a background service instead of a console application, or is there a limitation of access to the encoder with Windows "Session Zero" isolation?

Thanks,
Mark
6 years 2 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5863
Hi Mark,

Is the issue with CSN's being duplicated always happening when a batch of cards is printed ?

The issues is basically one of timing, as the encoder is actually a separate USB device it can happen that CardExchange tries to read the CSN for the next print job as the previous card is still printing. Depending on the printer the card is moved back over the encoder either during printing or when it is moved into the flip over and if CardExchange tries to read the CSN of the next card it gets the previous card again.

To ensure that this does not happen you can set a time delay which is the same as the time taken to print a card, this will ensure that CardExchange does not try to read the next CSN until the card has been ejected from the printer.

I would suggest that you set the CSN field in the database to not allow duplicates, this will cause an error at print time but it will prevent duplicate entries in the database if this does occur.

Regarding the background service issue i will have to look into that and come back to you.

Cheers,
craig

Craig Bechelli
CardExchange Solutions Support Team

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
6 years 2 months ago
Mark Phelan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5864
I believe it's related to batch printing but I'm not 100% sure - the customer reported today that they'd done "odd cards here and there" without any reports of problems, though all this printing had been done on the PC that the printer is connected to instead of via the print server.

We've doubled the delay from 2000ms to 4000ms but still got reports of the issue.
We're "printing directly" in the printer properties too so I don't think this is the issue either. It's like the encoder has got "stuck" and we either get the same card number over and over, or get no card number at all.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to run the CE print server as a service using sc.exe and also srvany/instsrv but it wouldn't launch so had to abandon the idea. I've not experimented any further with anything like nssm.cc but it would be great if there's a native way we can run the print server with the PC simply being "on" and not logged in.
6 years 2 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5865
Hi Mark,

This issue only occurs when batch printing, as when printing single cards it will not try to read the card for the next record as it is only printing one record.
The time delay should be around 30000 (30 seconds), it needs to be the time that it takes to print a card.
The best way to calculate this is to print/encode two records (Preferably test records in case the UID is duplicated), you need to time how long it takes from the first card being ejected to the second card being ejected. Then set this as the time delay, it should not add much if any time to the print job as you are just covering how long it actually takes.

This can change though based on the printer/database/network etc...
So best to put a small overhead in if you can.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig Bechelli

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
6 years 2 months ago
Mark Phelan
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5866
OK, I thought the delay was between print jobs - not the total time taken to print.
Oddly we've never had this problem elsewhere with batch printing but we'll get it changed to rule it out as a possibility.

Thanks
6 years 2 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Duplicate Card Entries #5867
I know on the older Zebra printers the print directly option in the driver meant that you did not need to set this, but it seems to differ between printers and Zebra do not recommend using that option in the driver. i am not sure for Evolis but I know Datacard had issues when using print directly as well.

I would set the delay and also set the field in the database to not allow duplicates and see how you get on.
Make sure that you are changing the Time delay after printing setting.

Cheers,
Craig

Craig Bechelli