Connecting native to SYBASE

5 years 10 months ago
Mark Vinkx
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting native to SYBASE #6081
I found some interesting parameters I can set for the sybase ODBC connections. I should set them to 0 because they are 1 by default

SuppressParamFormat=0
SuppressRowFormat=0

Can I set them in the connection string in Cardexchange ?

You can improve the performance of prepared statements with the ODBC driver by suppressing parameter format metadata when the prepared statements are re-executed. Adaptive Server 15.7 ESD#1 and later supports parameter format metadata suppression.

You can improve the performance of repeatedly executed queries with the Adaptive Server ODBC driver by instructing Adaptive Server to suppress row format metadata (TDS_ROWFMT or TDS_ROWFMT2) for queries that are re-executed in a session. Adaptive Server 15.7 ESD#1 and later supports row format metadata suppression.
5 years 10 months ago
Mark Vinkx
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting native to SYBASE #6082
I found some interesting parameters I can set for the sybase ODBC connections. I should set them to 0 because they are 1 by default

SuppressParamFormat=0
SuppressRowFormat=0

Can I set them in the connection string in Cardexchange ?

You can improve the performance of prepared statements with the ODBC driver by suppressing parameter format metadata when the prepared statements are re-executed. Adaptive Server 15.7 ESD#1 and later supports parameter format metadata suppression.

You can improve the performance of repeatedly executed queries with the Adaptive Server ODBC driver by instructing Adaptive Server to suppress row format metadata (TDS_ROWFMT or TDS_ROWFMT2) for queries that are re-executed in a session. Adaptive Server 15.7 ESD#1 and later supports row format metadata suppression.
5 years 10 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Connecting native to SYBASE #6083
Hi Mark,

CardExchange uses the .NET Framework 4.0 and System.Data.Odbc to connect to ODBC. The connection string is constructed as "DSN=Database;" or "DSN=Database;Uid=UserName;Pwd=Password" where Database is whatever you enter in the Database field of the database-setup wizard. So you can add extra options to the connection string by setting the Database field to for example
Database;SuppressParamFormat=0;SuppressRowFormat=0
regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
5 years 10 months ago
Mark Vinkx
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting native to SYBASE #6085
Hi Rutger

Thanks for the help

The only place I could add the extra parameters was the Uid. But it did not solve the problem. To bybass the problem I created an auxiliary column to store a varchar representation of the loginID.

I don't know how to get to the root of the problem. I tried the same setup using ODBC on an SQL Server and that worked

Mark
5 years 10 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Connecting native to SYBASE #6087
Hi Mark,

OK, I hope the work-around with the varchar columns is solving the issue in an acceptable way. It still appears to me that Sybase should solve this problem. In any case, Sybase is a niche database that is not used often in combination with CardExchange. There is not much experience with this connection.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)