Trust ID PBCEX logo 300x102

Barcodes Starting with 0

4 years 5 months ago 4 years 5 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Mixed up Attachments
Andrew
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Barcodes Starting with 0 #5940
Hello,

I'm having some issues with barcodes I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me.

So basically I have my Designed ID card connected up to an Excel database.
The excel document has info for name, title and barcode number.

In Card exchange everything connects up fine however the barcode is missing the first 2 digits which are 00.
So the 00's show up in excel but not in card exchange.

Rather then changing all the barcodes to something that doesnt start with 00.
Is there a way to make card exchange see the 00?
I have tried making the excel cell a "text" column or a "custom" column but this doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for your time,
Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Barcodes Starting with 0 #5943
Hi Andrew,

I think the problem is not to do with the Barcode, but with the column type that is set in Excel.
If you can set the data type for the Barcode column in the Excel spreadsheet to text it should show correctly.

If this does not work or you cannot change the Excel spreadsheet then you could look to add a prefix of 00 to the Barcodes.
Are all of the Barcode numbers the same length ?
If so this should also work fine, but if they are different lengths then it may not work as you need it.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Bechelli
CardExchange Solutions Support Team

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
4 years 5 months ago
Andrew
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Barcodes Starting with 0 #5946
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by adding a prefix of 00 to the barcodes. however I'm assuming this would apply to all the barcodes in the column.
And as only 30 out of the 150 barcodes start with 00, this wouldn't be an option?

I have tried changing the column data type to text as well as other things which didn't work.
However.
I tried creating a new card and database with a barcode column that's set to data type to "text",
And it works.

So if I set the barcode column to "text" right from the start when creating the database and card, all works fine.
If I open up my current real world database, and change the barcode column to "text". It does not work. the barcode field in cardexchange shows nothing at all, its blank.
Which is quite strange.

Any ideas?
Or would I be better of just copying the card layout design, and recreating the database?

Thanks for your time
4 years 5 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
Barcodes Starting with 0 #5948
Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately Excel does sometimes create these issues with Data types, you could try copy the contents into a text file and then recreate the column.
You can then paste the data in and as it came from a text file it should have no previous formatting.

Depending on the edition you have it would be better to import the Excel spreadsheet into an Access database, here you can specify the data types for each field so you will not get the problem.

What edition of CardExchange do you have ?

Regards,
Craig

Craig Bechelli
CardExchange Solutions Support Team

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.