In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer

6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4656
I have the same setup for 2 different Zebra printers, P430i and ZXP8.
On the P430i using the Zebra MiFare option, everything works fine including mapping and printing.
However, on the ZXP8, I encounter a few weird issues. The encoder in the ZXP 8 is SCM model.
All testing are done with MiFare 1K cards.

1) Sending a print job that has only 1 layout and page 1 for front printing only, 2 cards get fed into the ZXP8. The first card gets printed and the second card stays inside the printer and the printer goes into idle after the second card is in.

2) Using the option Hex and Reverse, the CSN inserted into my SQL table is totally wrong.

Example:

1) Using the Card Exchange Test function on the Contactless, the CSN displayed is 1971186868. Translating 1971186868 to hex is 757DECB4.
2) The CSN inserted into my DB is B4ED2059 which is totally no link to the correct CSN. The correct CSN should be inserted as B4EC7D75 in reverse.
3) Taking this card and use on a card reader, the output is 757DECB4 which matches the CardExchange Test.

4) Going further, I tested it without reverse and it gave me 757DECB4 which is correct.
5) Testing with reverse and 7 byte gives me B4EC7D75000000 which is also correct.

Any idea why is selecting Hex and Reverse not providing the correct CSN on the ZXP8 when it works on the P430i.
Also why is the ZXP8 feeding 2 cards for a single side printing.
Refer to attachment for the 3 results in the table for the same card.
Attachments:
6 years 7 months ago
Sergio Agostinho
Administrator
Administrator
More
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4657
Hi Ashley,

The ZXP8 needs that you change the card input default setting from card tray to already inside in the printer driver properties dialog. With this change the printer will always check if there is a card inside between the encode and the print process and will not load a new one.
The CSN issue needs to be tested here, what version of CardExchange are you using? You can see it in the about windows like described here

With best regards
Sergio Agostinho
6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4658
Hi Sergio,

Thanks. That setting works!

I am using the latest 9.0.1.5. This is a fresh install.
Actually there is 2 install, I use the same version on my laptop to test with the p430i currently.
The other version is at my client site with a ultimate license and using ZXP8.
6 years 7 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4659
Hello Ashley,

If the serial number read is totall wrong, it is most likely the serial number of another card. The issue can be related to the fact that two cards entered the printer, and maybe both are in the field of the reader. To avoid that two cards are in the printer simultaneously, it is important to set sufficiently big time delays in the printer options window, contactless tab. On some printer models it can happen that a card falls into the bottom section of the printer, invisible to us, but not to the MIFARE reader.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4660
Hi Rutger,

No. It wasn't the CSN of another card. I did a test with only 2 cards in the feeder. Then after printing, CSN in the DB do not match either cards.
We were careful to test the correct card in subsequent test and as per my test results, unchecking the reverse do give the correct CSN.
Reverse in 7 bytes also gives the correct CSN but not using just reverse.

Using the same option on the Zebra P430i that has the built in Gemalto encoder, there is no issue using the reverse option.
6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4661
I also just recall something which I am not sure if relevant.

Using the Card Exchange Test function with the SCM encoder in the Zebra ZXP 8 printer.
The test button is unable to feed the card in unless the option Test card with movement option is checked.

P430i didn't require this option to be checked.
6 years 7 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4662
Hi Ashley,

There is really no reason why reversing the CSN would work on one printer and not on the other. It is just a mathematical operation that hasn't been reported to be erroneous before. Are both systems running the same CardExchange version? Are both having the same configuration? Can you please check whether you mapped the storage item for the CSN correctly as MIFARE chip-serial number? A common error is to map the storage item to the field in the database where the storage item needs to be stored, which effectively causes the content of that field to be copied on itself, rather than the CSN to be stored.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4663
I agree there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Same software version.
My laptop is just for testing before installing at my client's place.
Same settings, in fact same DB as well, since mine is a backup copy of my client's DB.

will you be able to test? I am unable to get a zxp 8 in my office to test as zebra didn't have it available at the moment.
6 years 7 months ago
Craig Bechelli
Administrator
Administrator
More
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4664
Hi Ashley,

Is this a new Mifare definition that you have set up ?
Or is it an old one that you already had ?

I only ask as we have seen similar strange results when the reverse LSB option was selected in the old Mifire definition file.
If you unselect this and complete the mifare definition setup, then only select reverse byte order in the mappings it worked fine.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Bechelli
CardExchange Solutions Support Team

"If you define the problem correctly, you almost have the solution." (Steve Jobs)
The following user(s) said Thank You Rutger Koperdraad
6 years 7 months ago
Ashley Yap
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Topic Author
In correct CSN and 2 cards feed into printer #4665
Hi Craig,

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. Both setups are new. Actually I did a template on my machine and then transfer to the client site after installing it.
The I redo the DB connection, mifare setup, printer selection, etc.

The only thing is that I initially selected Zebra MiFare and then realised that didn't work. After some troubleshooting, I found out that the ZXP8 is using SCM encoder.
I tested all the options using the SCM encoder and only the contactless with PC/SC version 2 works.