Trust ID PBCEX logo 300x102

Connecting to a SQL server

7 years 10 months ago 7 years 10 months ago by Allen Dubsky. Reason: Didn't upload image.
Allen Dubsky
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting to a SQL server #3102
We are trying to connect this to our HR database and utilize it for card creation, I am having trouble connecting to it. I put in the name the server name and the database name and I get a could not connect error message.

Is there a special type of database I need to load?

Attachments:
7 years 10 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Connecting to a SQL server #3104
Hi Allen,

The error message is not readable on the forum. Could you copy what it is saying, please?

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
7 years 10 months ago
Allen Dubsky
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting to a SQL server #3113
Could not connect to [database]
a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a conection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL server is configured to allow remote connections.

Now my dba asked me if there was a specific database that Card Exchange was looking for. I couldn't find anything in the help file but I wanted confirmation that the database does not matter, and it can be any SQL server database not provided by Card Exchange.

Attachments:
7 years 10 months ago
Sergio Agostinho
Administrator
Administrator
More
Connecting to a SQL server #3114
Hi Allen,

Your SQL Server is not available to be connected, it can be due to:
1 - You didn't type the correct instance name, a usual definition example for SQL Server Express is \\PcName\SQLSERVEREXPRESS, the PcName is the sql server name itself and SQLSERVEREXPRESS is the instance name
2 - The Sql Server Browser is not enabled for that server
3 - The server firewall is blocking the connection

With best regards
Sergio Agostinho
7 years 10 months ago
Marcel Oosterhof
Administrator
Administrator
More
Connecting to a SQL server #3119
Hi Allen,

On my support PC I am using SQL Express too. Besides the name of the server and the database name, it is very important to know if the database you are connecting to allows external connections. In a lot of cases, the SQL Express is installed by the application that is using it and it also installs the database. In most cases you need to have at least a username and password for being able to connect, but it can also be that the database itself is protected for connections by external applications. As you can see in the screenshot, I am using a password to connect to the database.

To make sure that CardExchange® can connect to the database I would advice to install SQL Server Management Studio.

Download SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe or SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe depending if you want to use 32 or 64 bit.

After you have installed SQL Management Studio you need to make a connection to the SQL Server Express. If that does not work either, probably the rights of the database do not allow anything external.

Marcel Oosterhof
Support Team

Simplicity means an easy to use interface even for complex solutions...
Attachments: