Report of cards printed

4 years 11 months ago
Gurdip
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Report of cards printed #5081
I am testing the professional version of the Card Exchange software and I have a need to generate a report of cards printed.
I understand that this software does not have a built in report feature, however I am told that each time a card is printed a record can be created in a program like Excel.
I have tried to step through the instructions in the manual and cannot figure out how to achieve this.
So I will be setting up a simple card layout with two fields for printing only, no need for importing data from a database, only keyboard entry needed.
Both of these fields will be keyboard entry at the time of printing ie: Member Number and Member Name.
So what I would like to be able to do is generate a report which will show which user printed a card on any particular day and the report should list the contents of the two above fields. If anyone can provide a further clarification it would be greatly appreciated.
4 years 11 months ago
Sergio Agostinho
Administrator
Administrator
More
Report of cards printed #5082
Hi,

You can make your own log using for example an excel file or any other database, please follow the steps below:
  • Create a table/sheet with the fields you want to store in the log.
  • Create storage items for each column defined above, like described here
  • Map the storage items to the data you want to store, like for example the print date, as described here
  • If some mappings are not available in the designer you need to activate the advanced mappings, like described here
  • Using the advanced mappings you can for example store the windows user or other environment variables, like described here
I think these steps are enough to get you log working, please let us know if you nee more help.

With best regards
Sergio Agostinho
4 years 11 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Report of cards printed #5083
Hi Gurdip,

If you connect to a database, you have to select one database/table to read from. If you do not read data from the database, you can create a dummy worksheet in your report Excel file with just an ID column a single record to use as read table. The situation where people want to store data in a database but not read anything from the database is very rare.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
4 years 11 months ago
Gurdip
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Report of cards printed #5084
Thanks Rutger & Sergio

I am trying to step through your instructions, however I will need further assistance as far as database connection.
As Rutger mentioned I need to create a dummy worksheet, which I have done but then I need to know whether I need to create another worksheet where I can export the date for my report. So do I need to connect to two separate databases?
Here is my card layout, very simple, two fields which will be manual entry.

This is the Excel file I have created in which I would like to record all the cards that are printed.

Here is the dummy file as per Rutger's suggestion.

I've connect to the dummy database

Not sure what needs to be done from here on.

Thanks in advance
Gurdip
4 years 11 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Report of cards printed #5085
Hello Gurdip,

You are making things very complicated by having your names not in a database. Why don't you just create a single Excel file with two tables, one that contains the an ID, the number and the name for reading and one for writing that contains also contains the ID, the number and the name plus some extra info you are interested in, like the print date. Then you connect to that Excel, select the read table for reading and create storage items for all fields in the write table, except for the ID field. In the designer you can map the storage items to the corresponding fields in the read table or to the print date.

If you do not want to keep the names in the database, you can have a single record in the read table and overwrite the contents with new names and numbers all the time. I do not see the point in not just creating a normal database with the names, because with the storage items you will store those names anyway. You probably need to rethink what you really want to achieve, so we can advise you the best solution.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)
4 years 11 months ago 4 years 11 months ago by Gurdip. Reason: correction
Gurdip
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Report of cards printed #5087
Thank you Rutger, with your help I have made some progress.
I have setup one Excel database file with one worksheet for reading data and another worksheet for writing.
I can get the data to be stored to the Excel file however only one field, I get errors when I try doing both.
I think my problem is not understanding the function of the primary key, even though I have read that section in the manual.
So here is how I have set it up now:
Here is the reading worksheet.

I have no idea what all this FirstName, LastName means in this window, but this is how it is setup.

This is where there is still some confusion around the primary key setting. If I set it this way:

I get this error message:

However if I set it this way, It seems to write to the Excel writing worksheet just fine.

If I can understand the function of the primary key, perhaps then I can get both fields to write properly.
Thanks again.
Gurdip
4 years 11 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Report of cards printed #5089
You should use the ID field as primary key. The primary key is a field that should identify uniquely each record and that best has no other meaning, because you are not allowed to change the primary key once it has been created.

You should not configure drop-down menus for you input field, because you want to be able to type that value freely.

If you want only support to get your configuration done, I recommend you to consult with your software vendor. To set this up correctly, it is important that you understand how storage items work and what the role of the primary key is. You can also find more information in our online help file.

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

4 years 11 months ago
Gurdip
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Report of cards printed #5127
FYI - CE tech support helped me resolve this issue.
Thanks for all your help.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.