Connecting card layouts to database tables

5 years 11 months ago
Leslie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting card layouts to database tables #3914
I'm a new user . . . so forgive me if this is an obvious question and I'm clueless!

I currently have 3 different card layouts : Employees, Contractors and Officials. I also have one Access database with corresponding tables in it.

The problem I am having is when I switch from one card layout to the other . . . It will load the correct card template . . . but doesn't seem to connect to the correct data table. (The "Names" window and the database window at the bottom of the screen will still show the database from the first card layout.)

All of my field connections seem correct, but when I go in to the Database Connection Wizard on the 3rd screen where it says "Data Database" it goes back to different table/database, which doesn't seem right!

Can you offer any assistance?
5 years 11 months ago
Marcel Oosterhof
Administrator
Administrator
More
Connecting card layouts to database tables #3915
Hi Leslie,

Welcome and thank you for using the forum. It is important to know that when you have created a database connection, and you are using this database connection for all the same card layouts, they will also have the exact same settings. That means that when layout one is connected to table one and layout two is connected to the same database connection, it will also use table one. If you switch that layout to table two, it will automatically do this for layout one.

I analyze what you are facing, it looks like this is the case with your layouts. If you are using the same database but you are using different tables for the layouts it is better to create, as in your case, three different database connections and connect these to the different layouts.

So if all is working correct for the Employees layout, select the Contractors layout and open the Designer (Configuration tab in the main window and click on Card Setup). In the Designer, select the Data tab and click on New to create a new database connection. Now do all the settings exactly the same as the Employees connection except now you select the correct database. When you have finished the the connection, save it and name it, for example, Contractors. When connected, make sure that all the fields on your page design are shown properly.

Repeat this for your Officials layout...

Marcel Oosterhof
Support Team

Simplicity means an easy to use interface even for complex solutions...
5 years 11 months ago
Leslie
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder
More
Topic Author
Connecting card layouts to database tables #3916
Thanks, Marcel . . . but that *is* how I have it set up. (See attached screenshot #1)

Here's something even stranger. If I open CardExchange with the Employees layout and database, and then switch to my Contractor, it does actually load the correct card layout and data. HOWEVER, the "Names" screen doesn't change, nor does the "Edit Database Record" screen -- they still show my Employee data. More so, if I select the first record in the Names field (which is my name in the Employee table), it will show the correct information for the Contractor data (which happens to be a guy named Marty.) So it's kind of working . . . (See screenshot #2). So it's kind of working . . . but not correctly

I also realize that I'm not able to save photos to the database any longer, either. That was working before . . . Ugh!! Thinking I need to start over!!
Attachments:
5 years 11 months ago
Rutger Koperdraad
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Connecting card layouts to database tables #3917
Hi Leslie,

What happens is that you are connecting to multiple databases in the database setup, and the database you use to get the name info from is apparently another one than the data you are showing on the card.

If you want to connect to a single database, you should remove the other ones from the database setup, and walk through the database setup wizard to do the correct settings.

I recommend you to read the relevant sections of the online help file to a better understanding of how database connections work: help.cardexchangesolutions.com/en/Applic...htm?add_database.htm

regards,
Rutger.

Rutger Koperdraad
Senior Software Engineer

"A reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man." (Bernard Shaw)

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.